Since its launch in 1996, DreamHost has maintained a reputation for quality hosting services. Its head office is in Los Angeles, CA, but the company hosts over 1.5 million websites from all over the world. It is also the preferred hosting service of many digital marketers and web developers.
Our DreamHost review will explore the company’s pricing, features, and advantages of using it to host your site. By the end, you should be able to decide if DreamHost is the right web host for you.
- Web hosting for Canada
- Web hosting for Malaysia
- Web hosting for Singapore
- Web hosting for UK
- Best Web Hosting for Small Businesses
- Most Affordable Web Hosting
- Best Free Web Hosting
DreamHost offers various hosting options. Its most popular product is its shared hosting, which is also the most affordable. Other products from the company are VPS hosting, managed WordPress hosting, dedicated server hosting, and cloud hosting.
Regardless of which hosting option you choose, paying per year instead of monthly unlocks a better deal. For instance, the Shared Starter plan is $3.95 per month if you pay for a year. If you choose monthly billing, it becomes $4.95.
The same goes for the Shared Unlimited plan, which is $4.95 per month if you pay for a year and $10.95 if you pay monthly. The cheapest VPS plan is $13.75 per month, while the lowest WordPress hosting is $16.95 a month. Basic dedicated hosting is $149 a month.
On all plans, you get a custom control panel, knowledgeable customer support, 1-click installer, Solid State Drives, and a 100% uptime guarantee.
DreamHost’s 24/7/365 in-house customer support is responsive and efficient, but also limited. You can access it only via live chat and email. During peak hours, it can take a while to get responses to your chats or email. When it does come, the customer care representative is typically knowledgeable, efficient, and polite.
You can also get answers from DreamHost’s vast knowledge base, or by starting a thread in its community forum.
- Competitive Pricing: DreamHost’s shared hosting is among the most affordable on the market. Its other hosting options are also competitive without compromising on too many features.
- High Performance: Over the years, DreamHost has maintained an above-average uptime of 99.94% and page speeds of 648ms. That’s impressive for a hosting company that is over two decades old.
- Loads of Resources: DreamHost is one of the few hosting providers that offer genuinely unlimited storage and bandwidth on all its hosting plans.
- No Upsells: DreamHost is transparent by not trying to force customers to buy unnecessary add-ons.
- 97-day Money-Back Guarantee: Unlike other hosting providers that offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, DreamHost provides 97 days. If you find the service unsatisfying within that time, you can get a refund.
- Green Operations: DreamHost tries to keep the carbon footprint of its servers to a minimum.
- Only US Data Centers: Even though it has customers all over the world, all of DreamHost’s servers are in the US.
- Custom cPanel: Its custom control panel is useful but takes some getting used to.
- No Email: You have to pay extra for an email if you choose the Shared Starter plan.
- Limited Support: You can get assistance only through live chat and ticket support. Ticket support is a bit slow, and live chat isn’t available 24/7.
Our DreamHost review indicates the company’s hosting services are affordable without compromising on quality. On the cheapest plan, you get unlimited bandwidth and disk space, and a free domain and SSL certificate. These features make the hosting service suitable regardless of if you are starting a small or large website.
Uptime is also reliable, meaning you should have no trouble using it to start a business or ecommerce site. However, if you are not tech-savvy, you may find its custom cPanel overwhelming. Fortunately, if you don’t like anything about DreamHost’s services, you can get a refund with its generous 97-day money-back guarantee.