From its humble beginnings in 2002, HostGator has grown into an industry powerhouse with over eight million hosted domains. Its head office is in Houston, Texas, but the company serves customers all over the world.
HostGator is a popular option for hosting blogs, all types of business websites, and more. Its most purchased products are its affordable shared hosting plans, but the company also offers WordPress hosting, dedicated hosting, and VPS hosting. According to the average HostGator review, the company delivers top-notch customer service, competitive prices, and reliable uptime.
HostGator’s pricing is very competitive. Its shared hosting plans are its most affordable, and the cheapest is the Hatchling Plan, which costs $2.75 per month. Other shared hosting plans are the Baby plan ($3.95) and Business plan ($5.95).
Every HostGator shared plan comes with:
- Free migration
- 99.9% uptime guarantee
- User-friendly cPanel
- Unmetered bandwidth
- One-click installs
- 24/7/365 server monitoring
- Unlimited MySQL databases
The cloud hosting plans cost a bit more with the cheapest, the Hatchling Cloud, being $4.95 per month. HostGator’s most affordable WordPress hosting is $5.95 a month, while its VPS hosting starts at $19.95 per month.
If dedicated hosting is what you are after, be ready to pay at least $89.98 per month.
HostGator offers top-notch customer support. It is available 24/7/365, and you can access it via phone, live chat, or ticket-based email support. The support team is knowledgeable and provides quick assistance.
If you are unhappy with the help you get from a support member, HostGator CEO, Adam Farrar, says you can have your ticket directly assigned to him. So far, he has responded to every ticket he’s received.
An alternative to contacting customer services is using the support portal in your hosting dashboard. The portal contains over 680 articles and 500 videos on how to troubleshoot and make the best of HostGator. Finding the exact information you want in the library is straightforward with the user-friendly search bar.
Our HostGator review wouldn’t be complete without listing the company’s pros and cons.
- Impressive Uptime: HostGator’s uptime stays around 99.99%, making it a reliable hosting provider. If you experience uptime that’s less than that, you can get one month credit on your account.
- Easy Signup Process: Setting up an account is easy for both beginners and professionals.
- Competitive Money-Back Guarantee: Most hosting companies offer a 30-day money-back guarantee or less. HostGator tops that with a 45-day money-back guarantee that entitles you to a refund if you are unhappy with the service.
- Flexible Billing: If you prefer, you can pay either monthly or yearly for hosting services. Yearly billing unlocks lower prices on each hosting plan.
- $100 Credit for Google Ads: HostGator offers $100 worth of free pay-per-click advertising credits to new customers. You can get $100 credit for both Bing and Google Ads, but note that this offer is subject to terms and conditions.
- Renewal Costs: After your first month on Hostgator, the price for subsequent months increases.
- Upselling: HostGator adds services to your package during the signup process. If you aren’t paying attention at checkout, you could end up paying for features you don’t want.
HostGator offers various hosting plans so you can pick one that fits your budget and goals. Its shared hosting plans are its most popular, but its cloud hosting services offer better value at a slightly higher price. Also, launching your site on the host is uncomplicated. If you experience problems, you can quickly get help from its responsive customer support.
Overall, HostGator is a smart choice if you are new to starting a website and need a pocket and user-friendly hosting service.